Additional Post: Communication without words

Non-verbal communication is the process of sending and receiving messages without the use of words either spoken or written. In this blog post, I will be reflecting on what I know about non-verbal communication and its role in interpersonal relationships.

Firstly, I know that  non-verbal communication includes body movements, posture, eye contact, para-language, closeness (or personal space), facial expressions and physiological changes. An example on posture was the TED video that I watched before the start of class, which allowed me to understand how body languages help an introvert look confident. She spoke about how introverts hold up their arms in a V-shape and lift their chin up. Which makes one feel and seem powerful.

Secondly, the role of non-verbal communication in an interpersonal relationship can either aid or hinder one's communication. Non-verbal communication would aid one's communication through body language. An example would be my experience to a foreign country, Japan. Most Japanese do not speak good enough english. I entered this eatery and the menu was entirely in japanese which I could not read. I looked at the menu and pointed to the dish that I wanted to order. I was worried that the shop owner did not understand my order, but all went well and I enjoyed my experience. However, non-verbal communication can hinder one’s communication as various actions may mean different things to different cultures and societies. We discussed in class regarding how various background receive name cards. The Japanese receive them with two hands and a bow, the Muslim culture do not allow receiving with the left hand and lastly, my family's culture would be receiving with both hands. When we fail to follow these various culture, it would hinder an interpersonal relationship.

All in all, non-verbal communication is very important in our daily lives.

Comments

  1. Thank you for making this extra post on nonverbal communication, Syu Lynn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Resolving interpersonal conflict (Final with solution)

Blogpost #1: Strengths and Challengers in Communication (Draft)

Critical Reflection on Learning in the Course (Draft)